Wednesday, March 23, 2011

When I Am Weak -part 1

Job 42:5-6 “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes."

I hate myself. I have been hating myself more and more resently. I read that verse in Job and I winced... I've been really down and the more I've read from God's Word the more I felt... unworthy.

Right after reading that verse I flip through my flash cards and read Romans 7:12, "Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good." Again and again words like "holy and just and good" popped up each time I read the Bible and each time I would cringe inside thinking of my own short comings.

(Another flash card verse: Romans 7:5) "For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death." Am I still in the flesh? No! Why do I continually act so unlike a new creation?

Now, I don't mean I was just feelin' down, I was aching, sick of myself I felt like Job when he said he said he abhored himself.

But then the Lord showed me these verses -1 Corinthians 6:9-11- "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God."

Now, believe it or not after that I didn't feel like singing or dancing -which is what I normaly do when I am really happy- I just leaned back and smiled. I felt a peace, God's wonderful peace, and I felt tears.

None of these verses were new to me, I had not only heard them before but had memorized them, but nothing sunk in quite like it did last night.

2 Corinthians 11:3 (another one of my flash cards ;) ) says "But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ."

The message of the Gospel is simple; a no-brainer! (How could I have been so deceived!)

Last verse:
"Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death." (Revelation 12:10-11)


4 comments:

Ashley Hoover said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ashlin. Sometimes I find myself in that place of unworthiness as well so those verses are a good reminder.

Anonymous said...

He makes all things new, Ashlin, and the heart of the matter is the repentance, and then moving on.

Will whatever dragged you down not be a temptation ever again? No. But you will be stronger the next time when you face it.

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory though our Lord Jesus Christ."

I Cor 15:57

Unknown said...

Ashlin....

*hugs* I am so thankful that you were encouraged from my post on Living Water for Broken Hearts. Friend, comments like yours bless my heart...and its also encouraging to know that God is using me as a vessel for His glory. It's also bittersweet(as in I wish things were better for them, but its sweet to know they understand some) to know that other girls can relate.

Know that He is holding you in His arms. How He loves us!

Great post, btw. His grace is amazing...and the Gospel is such a simple, yet intricate message.
To God be the glory...He is truly amazing!
~Melanie

Ashlin said...

Thank you all for sharing those verses and words of encouragement. It really does mean a lot to me.