Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Have You Read the Famous Book... About Me?






You know, of course, the book is not literally about me, but the two characters depicted through one character shows who I am almost perfectly.



I'm am two in one. One half bad and the other half... worse.




Ephesians 4:22 "that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts"



Colossians 3:5b "Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth"



Colossians 3:9 "Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds"



James 3:10 "Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so."



I struggle with putting to death my worldly self.



"I am painfully situated, Utterson; my position is a very strange--a very strange one. It is one of those affairs that cannot be mended by talking."
-Dr. Jekyll


"For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do." Romans 7:15b

I feel like I could have written exactly what Paul wrote there. I hate what I do and yet I continue doing it! If I could ever gain more self control!

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid! Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin"
Romans 6:1-2b,4-6

Praise the Lord! I do not have to be enslaved to sin; He has set me free!

No comments: