Friday, April 11, 2014

Waisting My "Young Years"


A lot of people say I should get a job (or two) and hurry up and enroll in a good college. They tell me, from a good heart, that I need to have savings and a sure source of income for an unsure future.

Well, I’m not juggling jobs and college for one reason: God’s ways are not man’s ways. And I want to follow His will above others, even my own.

“A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and gold” Proverbs 22:1

I am asking God to give me a greater character in this life than a career.

(PLEASE UNDERSTAND: I am not saying that you are out of the will of God if you have multiple jobs and earning a college degree.)

But God hasn’t called me to do that. Right now, according to a lot of people, I look more like I’m wasting my young adult years. I’m not working very hard to save up for a car of my own, a home for myself, a career for my future.

Maybe God knows exactly what I need, and all the things I have are exactly that. That in turn means that all the things I don’t have, are things I do not need. It is possible that if I had a car, a high salary job, a career or college scholarship, then that is where my confidence would lie. Or maybe I would let my confidence lie in the bank. How much have I saved? Will it get me through what I need for this year, or how about this month? But money doesn’t help anyone, unless the Lord is their first provider. (Ps. 127:1)

Don’t hear what I’m not saying. I’m not saying stay home, and be a slothful bum who says “Oh, but God will provide.” I’m not saying we’re to do nothing and trust God. I’m saying we’re to do something; trust God! And if He calls you to go, go! And if He calls you to stay, stay! And if He says you need to work at this and not at that, then work this way and not that way!

For me, (and most believers and some point or another) that means trusting Him even when it looks wrong to everyone else. Even when it looks wrong to ME, I want to follow His will. Sometimes I think, “God? Doesn’t what they’re telling me make a little sense? Shouldn’t I be doing more? How can I help You when this is all that You have me doing? How can I bless others if I don’t work more? I’m so glad to be a daughter who can live at home with her family, but shouldn’t I support myself a little more?”

And He says  By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honor, and life.” (Proverbs 22:4) And, whatsoever a man sows, that he will also reap.” (Gal. 6:7)

The fruit of obedience doesn’t come in a day. But the seeds do sprout, and fruit will be harvested. It is stored up for the perfect season, and it does not rot away.

“A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and gold” Proverbs 22:1

No comments: