Monday, April 21, 2014

A Poem

The night I first saw you
You were
Scared
       Hurt
              Angry
                     Lost
You wouldn’t look into my eyes
Your gaze was fixed
Downcast
You wouldn’t trust me
Wouldn’t dare
To think that I might last
Any longer in your life
Than those who scarred your past
I loved you, held you,
Gave you a piece of my heart
Gave it up forever,
Though I knew we might part
But you didn’t want
My love
Afraid it was an act
You refused it
Pushed me back
The words I spoke to you for healing
You fought like an attack
You were angry
I don’t blame you
I was angry for you too
Your hurt was deep
Your pain was vast
I didn’t know what I could do
But the God Who made
And loved
You
Is the God
Who’d see us through
With time
You came to trust me
Your numb, closed heart
Began to feel
And it was beautiful
When you smiled
God would whisper, “Spirit, heal”
But then, too soon
Came the fateful day
When we had to say
Goodbye
Yet that could not take my love away
I’ll know your name
I’ll see your face
I’ll love you still
Until I die

No comments: