Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lean Not On Your Own Understanding (pt1)

I was visiting my grandparents the other day when a commercial played on their TV. It was for a Christian online dating site. The add said, "Sometimes we wait for God to move, when He's saying 'It's your time to act.'"
"Ha!" my grandad said. "I think it's always safe wait for God! That is so dumb! ...Wasn't that that Abraham's problem? He thought he knew what was best for him and took things into his own hands rather than waiting for God."

He left me thinking of the many times the Bible says to wait. We are shown, through the lives of many throughout the Bible, what the consequences are for not waiting on the Lord, and what a reward there is when they do wait for Him.

Psalm 62:5 says, "My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him." (emphasise mine)

How many times we search for joy, love, and pleasure from people (and things). We think 'If I just had a boyfriend who loves me, then I will be happy'. Sure, that may satisfy you for a while, but for how long? We cannot find everlasting joy in any relationship, except in a relationship with our perfect Christ! And until we learn to find the love, security, and intimacy that you long in God alone, you will never be satisfied.

"We say, then, to anyone who is under trial, give Him time to steep the soul in His eternal truth. Go into the open air, look up into the depths of the sky, or out upon the wideness of the sea, or on the strength of the hills that is His also; or, if bound in the body, go forth in the spirit; spirit is not bound. Give Him time and, as surely as dawn follows night, there will break upon the heart a sense of certainty that cannot be shaken." -Amy Carmichael

Look at the world, behold the splendor of God's creation! Even in it's fallen sinful state it is showing the might of our God and screaming of His awesome power. Give Him time to steep the soul in His eternal truth, the Bible. After having faithfully done so you will know that He is in control!



Be a faithful Christian, one who waits silently for God alone, and whose expectation is from the Lord!



And when I speak of the faithful Christian, I picture to myself one who has truly brought their whole unto God, by a true confiding faith in Jesus Christ as their All. One who has presented themselves entirely surrendered, transformed, a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God; someone who not only knows, but acts upon the fact that they owe everything to the blood that was shed for them on Calvary, and who is now fully absorbed with the redeeming mercies of the Lord. They are joyful- joyful, because they have an intimate relationship with their Saviour and Lord.

They know that they have One who knows them like no other, and whatever worries there may be, they know that the Lord reigns, and is superintending all for good; they are not overcome with fear. Yes, they may have great misfortunes, but they know that it is guided by a Father who pities their distresses and loves them with an everlasting love. They have a Friend mightier than the powers of evil, therefore they can sings in spite of their trouble—"The Lord is my strength and my shield, my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped: therefore my heart dances for joy, and in my song will I praise Him!" God's joyous light that shines on them, relieving them of their riddles, filling them with wisdom, giving them food for delightful meditation and living water for their thirsty soul, comforting their heart, and kindling radiance along all their way! That is what I mean when I speak of a faithful Christian!

We are not an alone, we have a righteous, almighty, and loving Saviour, Who sees all, and provides for all, and takes care of all! We can see by the love shown to us daily, and the love shown for us on Calvary, that He is the Only One who can love us so. And as we become more like that faithful Christian, we will soon be able to say with the psalmist, “And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You." (Psalm 39:7)

He has told us that those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing (Psalm 34:10), and that He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think (Ephesians 3:20), let us have faith and trust in His promises!

"If it is God's will for us to be married, then He will not leave us single for even one day longer than He knows is best, right, and perfect." -Sara Mally

I can not tell you of how much greater it is to choose God's best above our best, and not just in the area of a spouse, but in every area! We need only to have faith in Who He Is, and He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. (Heb 11:6) Seek the Lord, through prayer and His word. Wait on Him. (Ps. 19:14)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Amen, sister! In this world we live in today, Christians are diluting sin in order to make it "okay." But it's not and it never will be. "All sins are equal." I love your definition of a faithful Christian. As to waiting on the Lord's timing, here's one of my favorite quotes: "Dance with God, He'll let the perfect man cut in." (unknown)
Blessings!
Elisera