Friday, February 11, 2011

2 Lessons I Learned in MO

Number one: My life will be filled with words I wish I'd never said.

Proverbs 17:27-28 tells us:
"He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit. Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive."

The tongue is described as a fire, a sharp razor, a sword, an arrow, and full of deadly poison.

James 3:6 says "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell."

"Whoever guards his mouth and tongue Keeps his soul from troubles." (Prov. 21:23)

Another reminder is found in James 1:26: "If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless."

"But to the wicked God says: 'What right have you to declare My statutes, or take My covenant in your mouth. You give your mouth to evil, and your tongue frames deceit.'" (Ps. 50:16,19)

And number two: My life will be filled with words I wish I had said.

“Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers” (Eph. 4:29). "... nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks." (Eph. 5:4)

We need to replace our old habits with new habits. Instead of insulting let us use words that are "good for necessary edification", so that it may give grace to those listening. Instead of negative words we should use words to give thanks.

I know how easy it is for my tongue to get out of control. I must continually seek His forgiveness and allow Him to change the attitude of my heart and my mouth, so they will be pleasing to Him.


“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer” (Ps. 19:14).

No comments: