Thursday, February 13, 2014

On My Heart

Lately, I have been thinking. Just sitting and thinking, working and thinking - spending a lot of time in thought... about a few things. Things that God, my Father, has been teaching me (again).

So, here are some things I have been learning (relearning).

1. I took this spiritual gifts test: www.sdrock.com/giftstest and I was wondering... if the Spirit of God has given me gifts in certain areas, how am I using them? What are my strengths, what are my weaknesses? I wonder what God is preparing me for, and how He wants to use me in the future. But then again, it may not be the future - it may be today. Is there some place I could be a vessel of God's grace today, but I am too focused on other things to see it? Father, I pray that I would have open eyes, that your Spirit would lead me. And that I would follow.
  
So what am I to do with this? The more I study the Word, the more I see, it is not that complicated.
"Trust in the Lord, and do good . . . delight yourself also in the Lord. . .  commit your way to the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass. . . Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him." Ps. 37:3-7

To trust Him,
Delight in Him,
Commit my way to Him,
And Rest
in the Lord.
 
I guess I have floated accidentally seamlessly in to my second thought...
2. Ashlin, Study His Word!
"Behold, Thou desirest truth in the inward parts; and in the hidden part Thou shalt make me to know wisdom." Ps. 51:6

There is no truth apart from God's word, and there is no wisdom except from the Lord. There is no life or growth unless the branches abide in the Vine. John 15:5. I have heard it said many times, you cannot be stagnant in your Christian walk; you are either moving forward or you are slipping back. It is foolishness to think otherwise.
"There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness." Proverbs 30:12

The Bible is like a mirror. If we do not look in it, we will not see our filthiness. Father, do not allow me to have blind eyes. Let me see my sin so that I won't stay where I am, but be cleansed by Your grace!
Go has given us such beautiful promises in His word for those who will seek Him.
"He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust; His truth shall be thy shield and buckler." Psalm 91:4

3. Prayer. God works in mysterious ways. For whatever reason, He has chosen to work through prayer. He has commanded us to pray. And He has shown us many examples of the power released through the prayers of His saints. Mtt. 14:23, 21:22, Lk. 18:1, Rom. 8:26, Acts 6:4, Prov. 15:8, James 5:13-16, Eph. 6:18, and Rev. 8:3-6 are just a few.
In my own life, He has shown Himself mighty through prayer and I give thanks for the recent reminders He hast sent me to pray.

I am so thankful for the family I have and the people God has placed in my life that encourage me and help me to relearn these simple truths.

"O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together, I sought the Lord and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked to Him and were lightened, and their faces were not ashamed." Psalm 34:3-5

4 comments:

Sarah Cnossen said...

Beautiful, Ashlin, just beautiful! What a blessed reminder. We all need this, I believe.

Thanks for sharing your heart! <3

Sarah Cnossen said...

Hey, I've awarded you at my blog! (http://sarah-plainandaverage.blogspot.com/)

Ashlin said...

Aw, thank you, Sarah!

Michelle said...

A lovely post, Ashlin! Thank you for writing. Study and prayer go hand in hand, too. In James 1:5&6 we are commanded, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God... in faith, nothing wavering." This has been a great command for me to obey this week!

Press on in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus, dear sister!