Friday, May 25, 2012

Snares



“I do — oh, indeed I do — desire to live up to my profession, to be His, for time and eternity. But I am learning to see how very weak I am, and how easily Satan can conquer me even when I do strive against him. I do believe with my head that Jesus can, and will give me His grace, and I do not need to fear, yet somehow my heart seems to be hard and cold and not to take it in. Oh, if we were but there — where there is no more sin ! Oh do not forget to pray for me, and don’t ever doubt the love of your unworthy friend.” – Francis Havergal

When I do not strive, when I don't make great effort to fight the good fight, then my heart becomes hard and Satan can easily conquer  me.

At times, my heart is hardened slowly, it becomes numb so that I do not feel hungry for the fellowship with my Saviour each morning. I may not go in out right rebellion and sin, in fact it is almost always just the simple "non-actions" that begin my faltering. James 4:17 so plainly states that that is sin. Even as a Christian, "the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful." (Mark 4:19) [emphasis added] It is so easy to get distarcted to kick off our shoes and watch TV, or spend our morning time with God sleeping in instead.

But when we are not focused on Christ what happens? When we are in the very action of obedience what consequences come?
We are given so many examples. When David comitted his sin with Bathsheba was when he ought to have been doing his kingly responsibilities and been out with his men at battle. When Peter obeyed Christ he could walk on the water, but as soon as his eyes were off of Christ and on the worries before him he began to drown. When Moses had his eyes fixed on what God could do he didn't fear when in the middle of a sea and the armies of pharoh. When they stoned Stephen he was calling on God and saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” because of his faith!

When we set our hearts on Jesus, He promises to give us the strength we need to endure. Sometimes it’s through the very trials and weariness that we’re experiencing that God is using to help us find the strength to get through. Even when He doesn’t relieve our trials right away, we must have faith that He will give us what we need to persevere through them.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego were able to look king Nebuchadnezzar in the face and bodly say, "Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us from your hand, O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up.” (emphasis added) Daniel 3:16-18

Whether God shows us a way around the fire or brings us thru the fire to safe ground we are to have faith. God uses the hardest time in our lives to bring us closer to Him. I have no greater desire than to become more like the One who has stolen my heart. And my Jesus uses hard times to stretch, mold, and prune me into the child of God I was called to be. "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. " 2 Corinthians 12:10

“You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.” Isaiah 26:3

Through it all I can look to Him and give thanks! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Galatians 6:9

I don't want to let the seed the Spirit planted inside me become choked by the cares of this world, and desire for other things. I want to be the one "which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience."(emphasis mine)  Luke 8:15

"For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith." 1 John 5:4

God is the one who prepares the light for the sun each day. Psalm 74:16  He can undoubtedly give us the strength we need to have victory all that He called us to do!

May your eyes be fixed on Him,
Ashlin

No comments: