Tuesday, October 25, 2011

O How Often!

"How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!" (Matthew 23:37b)

I know I will never be able to understand the way a parent feels when their child is rebelling unless I become a parent. But I have recently seen some of the burdens placed on my parents for their children. It's consuming. Constantly worrying, and hoping that that child's heart will change. We probably don't even come close to comprehending the ache Christ feels for us each time we stray away.

When I was younger I decided to read through the entire Bible a few hundred times before I died. At least one hundred times before I became a mom. (I'm a very proud and naive person... I know.) And one of the first times I read through most of the OT all on my own, I was shocked to see the way the children of Israel behaved. The couldn't be happy for freedom out of Egypt! The weren't thankful for manna (which sounded like delicious food to me)! They weren't grateful the promised land but coward at the giants! The continually went to idols and false Gods! I couldn't believe them! I always felt happy with myself after reading about them, thinking, "If I had lived back then I would be one of the few smarter ones who were faithful to God." Oh how blind I was! (And still am.)

Constantly, constantly, I am live out those same attributes possessed by Israelites that I looked down upon so much. In Psalm 78:41 David says of the Israelites, "Yes, again and again they tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel."

Again and again I limit what the Lord would do in my life if only I obeyed.

Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 1 Corinthians 3:12-15

I am saved from ultimate punishment for my sins, and always I will be. But I do not want to waist my time here on earth. “Let me see what I have that will ‘abide the fire.’” – Susannah Spurgeon

Those works are some times compared to fruit on a tree; good fruit, good tree, or bad fruit, bad tree. Psalm 1 says that those who delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that giving fruit in it's season, it's leaf shall not wither, and whatever it does shall prosper!

When we plant ourselves close to the Living Water we will grow, and flourish. Just as He wills for us to do.

"Jesus died as He had lived–praying, forgiving, loving, sacrificing, trusting, quoting Scripture. If I die as I have lived, how will I die?" – Nancy Leigh DeMoss
(On a total different note -though it still is about plants- there is a seed give away going on that you might like. Gotta blog about it to enter so sorry for the randomness. =)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi!! Thank you so much for commenting on my blog... it's so encouraging to me how God continues to use it!
(And it's also really awesome to read about other people who are seeking after the Lord! ....yay Jesus! haha)