Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Eternal Perspective

"Some of you never think of dying, and yet you should. You say you may live long. You may and you may not. If there were a great number of loaves upon this table, and you were to eat one every day; if you were told that one of those loaves had poison in it, I think you would begin every one with great caution; and knowing that one of them would be your death, you would take each up with silent dread. Now you have so many days, and in one of these days, there is the poison of death. I do not know which one. It may be tomorrow; it may not be until many a day has gone. But I think you ought to handle all your days with holy jealousy." -Charles Spurgeon

How often I forget. How often I live my life in a nonchalant and careless manner. I wish to live one hundred percent surrendered to Jesus, dead to the world and my flesh -or so I say. But when I choose to sleep in for a few extra minutes rather than beginning my day drawing nearer to my Saviour (Ps 63:1), when I do not stop to pray for the lost and the hurting instead thinking of the tasks "must" complete today (Heb 13:3), when I do not seek for opportunities to do good to those brothers and sisters in Christ I am blessed to know and instead waste my time watching movies or reading books (Gal 6:10, Ps 119:37), my life does not tell of the greatness of the Love I know and am given, but it does say through my actions 'I know nothing of the love and the grace given to me by God through Christ'

"Therefore to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin." (James 4:17)

If I were to taste the "poison of death" today, what would my life show? Would it show a life glorifying Christ in all that I do, or would it simply be a life of few kind things I'd done but mostly centered around me?

Thousands of people die every day without Christ. Forever; eternal separation. It will be too late for us to tell them the Good News.

"Let us search out and examine our ways, and turn back to the LORD;" (Lamentations 3:40)

"The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through a man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him." -Henry Varley

Live today with the intent to glorify God in all that you do. (1 Corinthians 10:31, Colossians 3:17)Oh how great a difference it could make!

No comments: