Wednesday, April 27, 2011

If You Were a Christian

I recently read a very convicting article. I hope that it challenges you, and brings you to your knees, as much as or more than it did for me. It was written by an atheist, and in part he wrote:

    If I firmly believed, as millions say they do, that the knowledge and practice of religion in this life influences destiny in another, then religion would mean to me everything.

    I would cast away earthly enjoyments as dross, earthly cares as follies, and earthly thoughts and feelings as vanity. Religion would be my first waking thought and my last image before sleep sank me into unconsciousness.  I should labor in it's cause alone.

    I would take thought for the morrow of eternity alone. I would esteem one soul gained for heaven worth a life of suffering.

    Earthly consequences would never stay my hand, or seal my lips. Earth, its joys and its griefs, would occupy no moment of my thoughts. I would strive to look upon eternity alone, and on the immortal souls around me, soon to be everlastingly happy or everlastingly miserable.

    I would go forth to the world and preach to it in season and out of season, and my text would be:"WHAT SHALL IT PROFIT A MAN IF HE GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD AND LOSE HIS OWN SOUL?"

William McDonald, True Discipleship (Kansas City, KS: Walterick Publishers, 1975) p, 31

No comments: